Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mulch, part 2

On our daylily blog, I like to share as many pictures of daylilies and relevant gardening items. And since I so do love to take photos, I decided to go out in the neighborhood and take photos of mulch. I had a great time. Spent time visiting with neighbors who were outside enjoying this beautiful weather. By the way, not a cloud in the sky, light breeze here in north central North Carolina.

I want to thank the Bradley family, Hawks' family and Wright family for graciously letting me take pix. Here are my "finds" for today ....

Pine Straw
Last night I referred to it as pine needles, well, actually we call it "pine straw".
It is easy to rake up, transport and spread around daylilies. Does not have weed seeds. It is also sold locally in bales. Sometimes the pine straw is clean, without pine cones, but either way it works well as mulch.

Grass Clippings
Use a mulching blade on your lawn mower, if possible. Grass comes out finely cut up. It rakes easily. As a younger person, I remember helping to rake leaves and only then jumping in that great soft pile of leaves, throwing them on my brother and listening to the adults laughing over our foolishness. Such fun!


This shows grass clippings placed around daylilies here at Oakville Farm.


Straw
Now, before using straw, know for sure that WEEDS/GRASS will follow. It looks good initially, but will sprout.

Oak Leaves
Good mulch, decomposes adding nutrients to soil.

This is how our neighbor prepares the leaves for mulching ...


And there you have it .... Mulch, part 2.

I shall return tomorrow with more photos of mulch. If you have good mulching techniques, or know of other good mulches, please leave us a comment. Until next time, Happy Gardening.

No comments: