Saturday, August 1, 2009

Welcome August....

Good Evening,

Hope everyone has had a good day. We have worked outside today, not in the daylilies, but with other yard projects. So this edition of Oakville Farm daylily blog, will be about other interests. Hope you enjoy!

And what do ya see in this photo? Click on the photo to enlarge to see the...well guess I better tell ya, that the kittens are in the window of the barn. They are waiting to make sure that the dogs are out of harms way, before coming down.


And yesterday, I had a real treat. Four turkey hens and sixteen poults/chicks were walking through the daylilies, through the corn/garden, then through the goat pastures. The pasture is a wide open area, which gave me plenty of space to view the beautiful specimen. The poults kept their heads on the ground eating insects and seeds as they walked from area to area. The hens were keenly aware of the surroundings. They did not appear to be afraid of me, as I inched ever so closely to photograph. Two of the hens kept one flock of eight poults together ahead of the others and the other two hens stayed behind with the other flock. I was able to watch them move about for more than an hour. As I approached the later flock and spoke, the poults went through the wire fence and the two hens flew over. They gathered together and moved to a more secure area under the pine trees. That was great fun to watch one of Mother Nature's finery's.


The hummingbirds have also been a real treat of late. The eggs must have hatched and the little ones are out in FORCE. We are feeding 10 cups of sweetened water in hummingbird feeders a day for all to have. I have counted as many as fourteen at one time. And you know how they fly in and try to "dive bomb" one another. When I go on the porch to bring in an empty feeder, I do not see a single bird. Then I return the feeders to the porch, still not seeing a single bird. Then I look out the window, the feeders are covered with hummingbirds! Where do they hide? I was able to take these photos after sitting outside for twenty minutes with the camera on the tripod. Again, another fun time enjoying the wonders of Mother Nature.


Guess it is time to end this edition of Oakville Farm daylily blog. Continue to checkout our website http://www.oakvillefarm.com
for the daylily that is just right for you.

Until next time, Happy Gardening.

No comments: